Next Generation Award
The Next Generation Award recognizes SfN chapter members who have made outstanding contributions to public communication, outreach, and education about neuroscience.
One award is given at the predoctoral/postdoctoral level and one at the junior faculty level.
Recipients receive a $750 travel award to help defray the cost of attending SfN’s annual meeting and a $300 honorarium. The recipient's chapter receives a $2,000 chapter grant to be used to continue the chapter's outreach efforts in the following year. The SfN president presents the awards at a lecture at the SfN annual meeting. When awarded to a group at the pre/postdoctoral level, each individual receives a $300 honorarium and the chapter should either appoint one person to receive the $750 travel award or determine how to split it among the members.
For more information, please review the Awards and Funding FAQs.
The nomination window for this award is now closed.
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Nominations must be made by an officer of the local SfN chapter (e.g. the chapter representative).
- Nominees do not need to be an SfN member.
- Each chapter may only submit one nomination per category per year.
- Due to potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation for these awards.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter submitted by the chapter representative. If a group of individuals is being nominated for the pre/postdoctoral award, the distinct roles of each individual must be clearly described in this letter.
- Current CV
- Nominator and nominee should answer the questions enclosed in the forms below and submit via SfN’s nomination site.
- Must demonstrate outstanding contributions to outreach and science education activities for SfN or its local chapters.
- Readiness to take leadership roles designing and/or executing chapter outreach efforts the following year is required (must be documented in Annual Chapter Report).
- For Chapters: Nominees must be active chapters that have submitted an annual Chapter Report within the past year. For more information, visit our Chapter Annual Report page or email email@example.com with any questions.
- For Predoctoral/Postdoctoral Level: Current predoctoral/postdoctoral students only. A group of up to four predoctoral/postdoctoral students in cases where cooperation was essential for the success of the activity is allowed.
- For Junior Faculty: Nominees must be scientists within 10 years of receiving an advanced degree.
- Nominees may not be a recipient of another SfN travel award in the same year.
- 2019: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral – Project Bridge team: Cody Call, Emma Spikol, Meiling May, Kevin Monk; Junior Faculty – Victoria Heimer-McGinn, PhD
- 2018: Teodora Stoica, and Elena Blanco Suarez, PhD
- 2017: Ido Davidesco, PhD & Kristofer K. Rau, PhD
- 2016: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral – (Brain Matters Podcast) Matthew James Davis, Lauren Josephine Kreeger, and Anthony Lacagnina, (Knowing Neurons) Joel Frohlich, Katherine E. Fehlhaber and Joo Yeun Lee; ; Junior Faculty – John Meitzen, PhD
- 2015: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow - Nicole Baganz, PhD; Junior Faculty - Diasynou Fioravante, PhD
- 2014: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team - Alexandra Colón-Rodríguez, Eileen S. Rodríguez-Tapia and Chelsea Tiernan, PhD (Michigan State University)
- 2013: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow and team — Kasia M. Bieszczad, PhD and Shoai Hattori, Jessica Wilson, and Matthew Schroeder (Chicago Chapter)
- 2012: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Amy L. Altick, PhD, and Bethany R. Brookshire, PhD. Junior Faculty — Courtney Stevens, PhD
- 2011: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Catherine Jensen, Heather McKellar, and Kelley Remole (Greater NYC Chapter)
- 2010: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Timothy Marzullo and Gregory Gage (Michigan Chapter)
- 2009: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Michael Black & Kimberly Magushak (Atlanta Chapter). Junior Faculty — Cynthia Smeraski (Front Range Neuroscience Group Chapter)
- 2008: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Anteneh Argaw, Emma Duerden, Jean-Francois Gariepy, and David Steminowicz (Montreal Chapter). Junior Faculty — Karen Zito (University of California-Davis Chapter)
- 2007: Predoctoral/Postdoctoral fellow team — Jonathan Ting, Bryan White, and Hirofumi Watari (Pacific Cascade Chapter). Junior Faculty: Kyle Frantz (Atlanta Chapter)
NGA/SEA Selection Committee
Roelfsema, Pieter R
Netherlands Inst for Neuroscience
National Science Foundation
Myslinski, Norbert R
University of Maryland Dental School
National Institutes of Health
Piskorowski, Rebecca A
Inserm UMRS1266, University of Paris
|Ex Officio Members||Term Ends|
Tole, Shubha P
Tata Inst of Fundamental Research