Start or Reactivate a Chapter
Interested in starting or reactivating a chapter? First visit SfN's Chapter Directory to determine whether there is a chapter in your area. If there is no chapter in your area, you may submit a petition to start a new chapter. In the event the local chapter is inactive, you may reactivate the existing chapter.
Petition guidelines and forms are provided below. For further information, visit our Chapter FAQ’s and Chapter Resources or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Global Membership Committee reviews chapter petitions twice a year, during their Spring and Fall meetings, and makes recommendations to the SfN Council, please submit completed petitions to email@example.com during the months of February or August.
Start a New Chapter
To start a new chapter, follow these guidelines:
- Submit a Chapter Petition Form signed by 10 current Regular or Emeritus SfN members in the same geographic region.
- Student Members may initiate the process but will need to engage 10 Regular Members as signatories on the petition.
- A chapter must adopt bylaws to regulate its affairs that don’t conflict with SfN's articles of incorporation, bylaws or resolutions to the bylaws. View sample chapter bylaws.
- A prospective chapter may only submit a petition if a local chapter does not already exist. Chapter bylaws must be approved by the Global Membership Committee prior to adoption.
Reactivate a Chapter
To reactivate a chapter, follow these guidelines:
- Elect a representative responsible for completing the Chapter Reactivation Form.
- Update/adopt bylaws to regulate your chapter's affairs (a must). These bylaws cannot conflict with SfN's articles of incorporation, bylaws or resolutions to the bylaws. View sample chapter bylaws.